Position Title: Video Outreach Assistant(s)
Reports to: Dina Kagan, Producer, San Pedro Film, LLC
Hours/Week: 8-10 hours per week
Internship Date Range: October 2023 – April 2024
Location: Remote with ~4 visits to Cascabel, AZ
About the Resilience Internships and Student Experiences (RISE) Program
The RISE Program is hosted by the Arizona Institute of Resilience (AIR) and aims to provide both undergraduate and graduate students with paid internships related to resilient environments and societies. RISE internships give students experience in workplace settings with an opportunity to grow their interpersonal skills and prepare them for careers after graduation.
About San Pedro Film, LLC
San Pedro Film, LLC. is a video production company focused on creating short films to help protect nature. The company has collaborated with major local organizations like the Center for Biological Diversity, Pima County Smartscape and Arizona Land and Water Trust. A large part of the work produced by San Pedro Film is focused on the San Pedro River. The company is currently in pre-production for a project called the San Pedro Outreach, a year-long marketing campaign for the San Pedro River Valley, aimed at protecting this biological and archeological gem. The outreach will involve a weekly output of short videos highlighting the exceptional natural habitat and the unique conservation community of Cascabel in the middle San Pedro River valley.
The Video Outreach Assistant will work with the San Pedro Film team to shoot, edit, and post weekly content for the San Pedro Outreach. The content will be comprised of nature walks with the naturalist Ralph Waldt and filming members of the Cascabel community involved in nature preservation through their work and lifestyle.
- Under the guidance of the producer, the Video Outreach Assistant will learn and practice the skills of composition, exposure, video coverage, conducting interviews, editing and storytelling. They will learn to film and edit professional quality short content using their phone camera and Adobe Premiere video editing software.
- The content will highlight the beauty and biodiversity of the Middle San Pedro River Valley, inform the public about potential developments and their impact on the Valley and will address sustainable ways of living practiced by members of Cascabel community.
- Filming will occur in Cascabel and will take place over three weekends (Saturday at noon through Sunday late afternoon). Housing and food will be provided. The dates will be set with the Assistant, rough schedule being early November, late January and late March.
- Editing will take place in Tucson where the intern will have regular meetings with the producer who will give feedback and monitor their progress.
- A large part of the San Pedro Outreach involves posting content on both YouTube and social media. The Assistant will learn skills of marketing research of key words and composing text to accompany the video posts.
- At the end of the successful completion of the internship, the Video Outreach Assistant may be offered a part-time employment to continue the outreach.
- Appreciation of nature and desire to protect it. Have a personal desire to get to know the Sonoran/Chihuahuan desert natural environment and the San Pedro River Valley.
- Desire to effect social change through visual storytelling.
- Being able to work well with a team.
- Self-reliant, self starter.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Be available to participate in an interview process that involves a weekend, overnight camping stay at the Corbett Retreat & Research Center.
- Be available to participate in the filming and weekend stay in Cascabel.
- Prior experience filming with a phone, basic editing and storytelling.
- Experience posting content on YouTube and social media
- Ability to interact with an eclectic community.
- Comfortable with spending time in the wild.
The Video Outreach Assistant is compensated by the University of Arizona. The pay rate will be $18/hour.
How to Apply:
Applicants must be active UArizona students and must be enrolled in at least 6 credits during Fall 2023 and at least 6 credits in Spring 2024.
Please send the following information to Dina Kagan at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Why you’re interested in this internship opportunity
- Are you an international student?
- Will you have any other UArizona jobs during Fall 2023 and Spring 2024? If so, how many hours will you be working for your other positions?